Sunday 6 May 2012

Jason Byrne, Auckland, 5/5/12

Following his chaotic brilliance at the Gala, it was with great anticipation that I sat and waited for Jason Byrne's show top kick off at the most excellent Rangatira at Q, and I have to say he fell just short of that anticipation in an extended hour of still very good comedy. The biggest surprise, going on the aforementioned Gala performance and other televised bits I have seen, was how much conventional stand up there was. I was expecting bit after bit of audience members being pulled, pushed and generally manipulated into all sorts of things.

Not a bad point on the show, just an observation; I actually thought Jason was at his best chatting with mic in hand, especially when he showed a good level of local 'knowledge'(a well-researched international is always a plus in my book) mocking our rivalry with Australia, their national airline and such. He was equally enjoyable when mocking his own, another trait I like in comedians.

Call me a prude, but there were bits about sex that dragged longer than they needed to, and his percussion on audience members 'nether regions' seemed meaner than it did funny, riotous laughs from those around me, however, showed he hit the mark more than missed (pardon the pun).

Flat patches aside, Jason Byrne as the 'People's Puppeteer' gave me more than just a chuckle, and seeing him unplanned on something of a whim was definitely a good end to a great night at the NZ International Comedy Festival.


2 comments:

  1. Hate Jason Byrne.... Going to see his show on a recommendation a few years back was a mistake that I have never repeated. Hearing that he is still hitting/grabbing nether regions shows that he has not improved. I hope he didn't do his cardboard box bit... It was painful to watch and embarrassing for the audience he involved... Worse was to see it on the TV gala performance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment.

      I didn't think he was terrible, just not quite what I was expecting. We also had just seen Milton Jones before him who was absolutely hilarious, a tough act to follow by anyone.

      Delete