Sunday 6 May 2012

Milton Jones, Auckland, 5/5/12

"My sister was told to stop eating wheat. She ignored that advice and was run over by the combine harvester." That is what we at the Classic were faced with last night - line after line of non-sequiter and pun, delivered in the most charming and original way. You'd think an hour of it would be too much; for me it was barely 10 minutes before I descended into the hardest, and longest-lasting laughs I have experienced in my life.

The concept is painfully simple, but in Milton Jones' hands also outrageously funny. From the point you give in to the whimsy, and trust me you will, the laughs keep coming and just when you think you have it all worked out, he ducks in another direction; you do best to just hang on for the hilarious ride.

The show starts with Milton's grandpa (one of many apparently) strolling out to the mike, complete with walker, flat-cap and coat, and from there you are not safe. The jokes are fired so quickly that you do well to keep up, and sometimes you don't - at one point Grandpa starts his routine again and trust me if you are still resisting at this point, good on you because it won't last much longer.

After Grandpa's do-over, Milton joins us and the hour flies by, absurdity and silliness abound. There's a good sprinkling of audience-banter and an OHP (yes, you read that right) to go along with the corny, but it is Milton's pitch-perfect timing where the brilliance lies. Sometimes you know the punchline before it hits, and sometimes you don't, either way it is best to just sit back and enjoy the madness.

I have seen quite a bit of comedy in my time, and while I am a terrible reviewer because I tend to gush about most of what I see, in this case though, it is definitely justified. Do your self a favour and go and see Milton Jones, one of the true masters of the art. He plays the Classic until Saturday the 12th of May.




No comments:

Post a Comment