Wednesday 2 May 2012

My Top 5 from the Comedy Gala

I am probably cheating here by reporting on the televised version of the NZ Comedy Gala (see here if you want a real review of the live show) but here are my top 5 from what I saw last night.

Proving that he is much more than just Murray from Flight of the Conchords (as all us NZers are well aware), Rhys Darby did a wonderful job recounting festivals of old, (including his impression of a robot that gets me every time) before a large dose of the excellent physical comedy he has long been known for.

The Boy with Tape on His Face gave us a superbly heartfelt routine complete with audience participation and ballet, some of the most imaginative comedy I have seen. A smoke machine, clown horn, bell and tutu, need I say more.

Heavy-Metaller turned comic Steve Hughes provided me with almost the best laughs of my 2 hours in front of the box, his droll observations on a wide range of topics perfectly timed and delivered.

Ambling, no in fact doddling, out to the mic, Milton Jones did what I love best, delivering pun after pun in the most absurd yet engaging way. I am very much looking forward to seeing him this weekend, not sure how I will survive a whole hour.

The highlight for me though, and who I can award the made-me-cry medal to, is Ireland's Jason Byrne. His mad attempt at magic, involving not 1 but 3 unsuspecting "volunteers” was as painfully funny as it was frenzied. Definitely a must see if you can get to it.

So there you have it, my whirlwind tour of the best of the Gala. In amongst the others not a lot of misses to be honest, get out and see as much of the Festival as you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment